Making the aged care move
Moving into residential aged care can be an emotionally and financially challenging time for you and your family. However, obtaining the right advice can help reduce a lot of the stress by helping you to understand the complexities involved and to be ready for the move in your own time.
Forward planning and advice can help you to
- Minimise the stress involved
- Determine which fees may be payable
- Implement strategies that could reduce your care costs and / or increase your Centrelink entitlements
- Ascertain whether care at your preferred facility is affordable for you
Issues that will need to be considered are
- Retaining, renting, selling or transferring ownership of your family home
- Nominating a person to maintain and / or rent your home on your behalf
- Reviewing your enduring power of attorney
- Reviewing your will (including the benefits of including provisions that establish a Testamentary Trust upon your death)
- Reviewing your superannuation death benefit nominations
Download our ‘5 Steps to Aged Care’ to start you on the road to understanding this important transition.